Volks Railway, Brighton
Volk's Electric Railway (VER) is the oldest operating electric railway in the world. It is a narrow gauge line of 2 ft 8 1⁄2 in (825 mm) line and runs along a length of the seafront at Brighton. It was built by Magnus Volk, with the first section completed in August 1883. The line is electrified at 110 V DC using a third rail, and is one mile long. In the summer of 2014 three vehicles were in operation Nos. 7 & 8 operating as a pair and No. 9 on its own. Nos. 7 & 8 were built by VER as Paston Place workshops in 1901, while No. 9 was built at the same factory in 1910. The line has three stations - Black Rock, close to Brighton Pier, Halfway, where the depot is located and Aquarium. The line is operated as two single lines either side of Halfway station with each having a wooden single line staff.